A spicy veggie stuffed deep fried snack
The recent Durga Puja was an incredible experience. Festivities and of course food. I got a chance to do some photography and to eat some good food. There were a good variety of snacks to keep me busy. Vegetable Chop or as some call it, Bhejitable Chop was one of them.
This recipe is completely vegan. So instead of using egg, I used a batter made of plain flour for the outer layer. The chops are dipped in the batter and then rolled in bread crumbs before being fried. The stuffing is a mix of potatoes, carrots & beetroots. Cooked and spiced with some traditional Indian spices.
If you are planning Veg Chops for a large party, then prepare the vegetable mix, shape the chops & freeze them. Get them out of the freezer before eating time. Prepare the batter, dip the chops, roll it in the crumbs & deep fry.
Veg Chop Recipe
Kitchen Tools: Pressure Cooker, food processor, Kadai/deep fry pan, Knife & Grater
- Potato: 2
- Carrot: 1
- Beetroot: 1
- Cumin seeds: 1/4 tsp
- Fennel seeds: 1/4 tsp
- Cloves: 2-3
- Peppercorns: 4-5
- Dry Red chili: 2
- Cinnamon stick: 1/2 inch piece
- Peanut: 2 tsp
- Ginger paste: 1/2 tsp
- Dry Mango Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves: 1/4 cup
- Green chilies: 2
- Plain flour: 1/2 cup
- Bread Crumbs: 1 cup
- Oil: 2 tbsp + for deep frying
- Wash the veggies and pressure cook (2 whistles). Keep it aside
- Dry roast the dry spices for 2 min on low heat and grind to a powder
- Dry roast the peanuts for 2 mins & crush them or grind to a coarse powder using a food processor
- Chop the coriander leaves and the green chilies
- Peel the outer skin of the vegetables and grate all the three veggies
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and add the grated vegetables. Cook for about 5 mins on low heat. The raw smell should be gone.
- Add the ground spice powder, ginger paste, dry mango powder, crushed peanuts, chopped coriander leaves, chopped green chilies and salt. Mix well
- Turn of the heat and allow the vegetable mix to cool down.
- Take a small portion of the mixture in your hand and shape the chop. Cylindrical shape with curved edges
- Repeat the same with the rest of the veggie mix
- For the outer layer, take the flour add some salt and water to make a loose batter. Take the bread crumbs in a plate
- Heat oil for deep frying. Once the oil is hot, reduce the heat.
- Dip a chop in the batter. Then roll it in the bread crumbs and dunk it in the hot oil. Repeat with the rest of the chops and fry in batches
- Fry on medium heat. Turn the chops so that they are fried equally on both sides.
- Once the chops turn brown remove from the pan, drain the oil and keep it aside
- Sever with some fresh coriander or a few onion rings
A few options:
- At the risk of altering the taste, garam masala powder can used as the spice along with some ginger-garlic paste
- Veggies such as green peas & cauliflower can also be included