Tomato dal is one of the most easiest dal that can be made and a must on the easy cook list. Tomato dal or tomato pappu is a regular in household cooking, canteens etc. The dal goes well with rice and chapatis. A good addition if your going for the roti-dal-sabzi (chapati-dal-veggie) combo or if you want it with hot rice and vegetable fry or papads. Ginger-garlic paste is added to the dal. If you wish to avoid ginger-garlic paste use asafoetida powder. This give a nice aroma to the dal.
The ingredients are basic Indian cooking ingredients. The tomatoes give a nice flavor to the dal. Tamarind juice gives the dal the tangy punch. The mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves tadka/tempering gives a lovely aroma to the dal. Add few drops of ghee to the dal and it is heaven.
Tuar dal: 1 cup
Tomatoes: 2 large sized
Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
Chilli powder: 3/4 tsp
Ginger-Garlic paste: 1/4 tsp (optional)
Mustard seeds: 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds: 1/4 tsp
Dried red chillies
- Wash the dal at least two times in normal water
- Add two cups of water, turmeric powder, chilli powder and ginger-garlic paste
- Pressure cook the dal
- Soak a couple of tamarind pieces in warm water. Soaking in warm water helps in getting more juice out of the tamarind
- Heat a table spoon of oil in a wok
- Reduce the flame and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Allow the seeds to crackle
- Add the dried red chillies
- Add a few curry leaves
- Add in the cooked tomato-dal and stir the dal
- Squeeze the tamarind to get the juice. Add this juice to the dal.
- Keep the dal on low heat with a lid on. Allow the dal to come to a boil.
- Once the dal boils switch of the heat and add a few drops of ghee.
Note: Instead of using ginger-garlic paste use asafoetida powder. Add a pinch of the asafoetida powder to the hot oil used for tadka. Add the powder just before adding the dal to tadka wok.