Spicy Tomato Rice
Spicy tomato rice is an interpretation of the bagara rice. Spices like cinnamon and bay leaf induce some very lovely flavors. The tomatoes give enhance the taste and along with the red chilli powder gives the red color. The rice can be cooked on low flame or pressure cooked or in the microwave. I like to cook the rice with a lid on while cooking on low flame or in the microwave, this keeps in all the flavors and smell of the spices. To make this more interesting and colorful I like to add fresh green peas or small pieces of potatoes or small chunks of soya or all of the above. A side for this dish are curd raita. So cook some rice whip up some raita and dig in….
Rice: 2 cups
Cinnamon bark (Patta)-1
Garam masala powder
Ginger-Garlic paste (optional)
- Chop the onion
- Chop the tomatoes into tiny pieces
- Clean and chop few coriander leaves
- Heat oil in a wok
- Add the chopped onion and fry for minute
- Add 1/4tsp of ginger-garlic paste
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder
- Break the cinnamon bark into large pieces and add to the onion
- Add the chopped tomatoes and fry for two minutes
- Add 1tsp of chilli powder and the chopped coriander
- Allow it to cook for a few more minutes till the raw smell of the tomatoes is gone
- Add 1/2 tsp of garam masala powder
- Wash the rice and a few times and add to the tomato mixture. Mix thoroughly and add salt to taste.
- Add four cups of water.
- Add 2tsp of ghee so that the rice does not stick together
- Cook on medium heat till the rice is done or pressure cook at medium heat for a two whistle count.
- Serve hot with curd raita.
* Potatoes (cut into small pieces) or green peas or soya chunks can be included. Add any or all of them before adding the rice and cook for a few minutes