Sheer Khurma Recipe
Sheer Khurma is delicacy made of vermicelli, milk and loads of dry fruits. Sheer translates to milk and khurma to dates. The vermicelli pudding is simple in preparation but is rich, aromatic and heavenly. History says that since Saudi Arabia has bountiful harvests of dates, there started the tradition of breaking the Ramazan fasts with dates and on Eid morning the dates along with milk were cooked for the food fiesta.
The vermicelli and the dry fruits: almonds, pistachios, cashews and chironji are fried in ghee or clarified butter. The vermicelli and the dates are also fried separately before being cooked in milk. Traditionally only dates were used to sweeten the sheer khurma but a little sugar can also be added.
The dry fruits
Dry fruits fried in ghee/clarified butter
Vermicelli and dry fruits cooked in milk
- Vermicelli: 1/2 cup or 200 gm
- Milk: 500 ml
- Sugar: 1 to 1.5 tbsp
- Cashews: 7-8
- Almonds: 8-9
- Pistachios: 8-9
- Dates: 8-9
- Chironji: 1 tbsp
- Raisins: 1 tbsp
- Ghee/Clarified butter
- Chop the almonds
- Split the cashews
- Heat one tablespoon of ghee. Fry the dry fruits except the dates.
- Remove the dry fruits and fry the dates
- Heat one tablespoon of ghee in a pan to fry the vermicelli. On low heat fry the vermicelli until it turns a slight color of brown
- Heat milk in a vessel. Let it come to a boil and start reducing.
- Reduce the flame and add the sugar and keep stirring.
- Add the fried vermicelli and stir. The vermicelli will start absorbing the milk.
- Now add in the fried dry fruits and dates and mix
- The sheer khurma is ready for serving
- Half the fried dry fruits can be added while cooking and the remaining can be used for garnishing
- The skin of the dry fruits can be removed by placing then in hot water for 5 mins and the rubbing them on a muslin cloth. The chiroji skin can be removed from the hot water and placed in cold water to remove its skin.
- Condensed milk can also be used to sweeten the sheer khurma and make it more rich in taste.