- Semiya / Vermicelli: 2cups
- Milk: 2 cups
- Sugar: 1 cup
- Cashew: 6-8
- Raisins: 6-8 (optional)
- Cardamom/ Elaichi: 2 pods
- Add 1/2 tsp of ghee in a wok and roast the semiya until it is brown in color
- Heat 1/2 tsp of ghee in a thick wok and fry the cashews
- Heat milk in a thick vessel on medium heat
- Once the milk comes to a boil add the sugar and stir till the sugar dissolves.
- Bring the heat to minimum and keep stirring
- Open the cardamom pods and crush the black interior. Add this to the milk. The outer portion of the pod can also be added.
- Add the roasted semiya and keep stirring gently so that the semiya does not stick together and form lumps
- Add the fried cashews and raisins
- The semiya will absorb all the milk and the quantity will condense. Add some more milk of required.
- Turn off the heat. Serve hot.
- Almonds,chopped into small pieces, can also be added to the payasam
- Condensed milk can also be added. This makes the payasam richer. Don’t add sugar instead add condensed milk.
- Roasted semiya available in the market can also be used. This eliminates the process of roasting the semiya.