If you want to have a lot of different items on you table and make the menu look long & big, then you might want to add mango rice to your list. Mango rice is also made of a lot of Indian harvest festivals. The raw mango used gives the rice a nice tangy taste. It goes really well with crispy fried items like potato fry, raw banana fry & yam fry. Vadas are also good on the side. Of course a heavenly combo is mango rice with fish, fry or curry.
The mango rice recipe is not only easy but it also a good way to use some of yesterday’s extra cooked rice. But nothing beats mango rice made from freshly prepared rice. Raw mango is grated and mixed into the cooked rice. The rice is tempered with some mustard, cumin seeds, chilies, curry leaves & peanuts.
Raw Mango Rice Recipe
- Rice: 1 Cup
- Raw Mango: 1 large green mango
- Oil: 2 tbsp + 1 tsp
- Peanuts: 12-15
- Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves: 12-15
- Red Chilies: 4
- Green Chilies: 2
- Turmeric: 1/4 tsp
- Cook the rice. Spread the rice on a plate or a flat surface & let it cool. Pour a tsp of oil on the rice & mix it.
- Grate the raw mango along with the skin.
- Slit the green chilies
Lets do it
- Mix the grated mango & the rice. Sprinkle salt on the rice & mix well.
- Heat oil in a small wok for tempering
- Add the mustard seeds and let them crackle
- Add the cumin seeds and fry them a little
- Add the turmeric, asafoetida and peanuts. Let the peanuts fry for about a minute
- Add the green chilies, red chilies & curry leaves. Mix well & let them fry for a minute on low heat
- Pour the temper mix on the rice & mix well. The spices & the rice should be mixed thoroughly
- Ready to eat