An Indian classic, palak paneer, is paneer (cottage cheese) cubes in a gravy made from palak(spinach). Easy to make and tastes incredible with chapati, fried rice etc. A thick version of this curry is also used between a roll of dosa to make the palak paneer dosa. This recipe is from a Sanjeev Kapoor book and came out really well.
Palak soaked in warm water for a few mins so that it cook slightly for the gravy.
Spinach and green chillies need to be ground to paste for the gravy.
Paneer/Cottage cheese cubes in palak gravy.
- Spinach: 2 large bunches
- Paneer/Cottage cheese: 200 grams
- Green chillies; 2-3
- Garlic: 6-7 cloves
- Oil: 3 tbsp
- Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Lemon Juice: 1 tsp
- Fresh Cream: 4 tbsp
- Remove stems, wash spinach thoroughly in running water. Blanch in salted boiling water for two minutes. Refresh in chilled water. Squeeze out excess water.
- Remove stems, wash and roughly chop green chillies.
- Grind spinach into a fine paste along with the green chillies
- Dice the paneer into one inch cubes
- Peel, wash and chop the garlic
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds.
- When the begin to change color add the chopped garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add the spinach puree and stir
- Add some water if required
- When the gravy comes to a boil add the paneer and stir well
- Add salt to taste
- Cook for a few minutes
- Add the lemon juice
- Turn of the flame. Add the fresh cream on top and serve hot.