Simple, traditional and delicious
Over the years, I went from just shaping the modak to making it from scratch. A promotion indeed. Of course I had to make these from scratch after I messed up the ones that Mom was making. I used a coconut-jaggery mix with a little cardamom powder for the stuffing. It is easy to make. A really delicious stuffing, that does take a little bit more time, is made of roasted sesame seeds powdered and mixed with jaggerypowder. Amazing !
Modak does need more prep time, but it is quite simple. Here is a break-down of the recipe, the detailed recipe is of course mentioned below. Having a steamer, a coconut scraper and a modak mould really helps.
Stuffing: Grated coconut fried in a little ghee(clarified butter)/oil + jaggery + cardamom powder
Outer Layer: Rice flour mixed into hot water to form a dough
Now it is just making the rice balls with the sweet center and giving it the shape with a modak mould. Next stop, steaming.
Also do check out the spicy version with my recipe of Spicy Modak
- Rice Flour: 1 cup
- Fresh Grated Coconut: 1 cup
- Jaggery Powder: 1/4 cup
- Ghee/ Oil: 5 tbsp
- Cardamom Powder: 1/4 tsp
- Heat 4 tbsp of ghee/oil in a pan and add the grated coconut, jaggery powder and cardamom powder
- Keep stirring and cook the sweet coconut for 10 mins on medium heat. Once done turn off the heat and keep it aside
- Add 1.5 cups of water in a pan and 1 tbsp ghee
Rice flour Prep
- Once the water starts to boil, lower the heat and gradually keep adding rice flour. Keep stirring continuously while adding the flour
- Keep mixing unit the water is absorbed and a dough is formed. Turn off the heat & keep the dough covered for about 10 mins
- Once the rice flour cools down, knead the dough with your hands until it becomes smooth
Making the Modaks
- Grease your palms with some oil and take a small portion on the dough. Flatten it with your hands to form a small circle. Place the coconut stuffing at the center and close the dough to form a ball
- Place the ball, with the stuffing at the center, in the mold. Close the mold gently so that it shapes the modak
- Now steam the modak for 15 mins. A sheen will appear on the modaks
- Remove from the steam and serve