Lime rice is tempering pain cooked rice with mustard seeds, curry leaves and red chilies. Adding some fresh lime juice give it the tangy flavor. Making lime rice is an easy way to make the boring plain cooked rice a bit interesting. It is also a great way to use any left over plain rice. Lime rice recipe is a kinda recycle recipe for leftover cooked rice. Some of the sides that go with lime rice are crispy potato fry, raw banana fry, fried papads etc.
Frying the mustard seeds and peanuts
- Cooked rice: 2 cups
- Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- Curry leaves: 10-12
- Red Chilies: 3-4
- Peanuts: 1/4 cup
- Turmeric Powder: 1/4 tsp
- Oil: 2 tbsp
- Heat Oil in a wok
- Add the mustard seeds to the oil and allow it to crackle
- Reduce the heat slightly and add the peanuts. Let it fry for a minute
- Reduce the flame to minimum and add the turmeric powder, curry leaves and red chilies
- Add salt to taste
- Turn off the flame
- Add the cooked rice and mix thoroughly. Make sure no lumps of rice remain.
- Squeeze the lime juice and sprinkle the juice on the rice. Mix thoroughly.
- Serve with some crispy sides.
- In case fresh cooked rice is used, spread the rice on a plate or a tray. Once the rice is slightly cooled then add the rice to the mix.