Lemon sevai is a South Indian breakfast dish. Sevai is fine rice noodles. Lemon sevai is easy to make. The sevai is soaked in water and tempered with mustard seeds, red chilies and curry leaves. The color of the sevai is from the turmeric powder and the fresh lime juice gives the citrus taste.
Soak the sevai in hot water
Drain the water
Fry the mustard seeds, urad dal, red chilies and curry leaves
Mix the sevai with the tempering ingredients
- Sevai : 200 gm
- Lime :1
- Turmeric powder: ½ tsp
- Curry leaves: 12-15
- Mustard Seeds: 1tsp
- Urad Dal: 1 tsp
- Red chillis: 3-4
- Oil: 2tbsp
- Heat four cups of water in a vessel. Once the water is hot add half a teaspoon of oil and soak the sevai in the hot water. Turn off the heat and allow the sevai to soak for about five minutes. Drain the water and keep the sevai aside
- Heat oil in a wok
- Add the mustard seed and allow them to crackle
- Reduce the heat and add the urad dal.
- Add the turmeric powder and the red chilies
- Add the curry leaves and the salt to the oil mixture
- On low heat, add the soft sevai and mix the contents.
- The sevai will get the yellow of the turmeric
- Turn of the heat and sprinkle the fresh lime juice
- Mix the sevai and serve hot