This is fast food with a traditional touch; tempered rice vermicelli with a citrus punch
My numerous travels to the city of Chennai led me to plates of some really good Sevai. I know folks who are so particular about the thickness of the vermicelli that they would put in the time & effort to make the vermicelli at home rather that go for packets sold in supermarkets.
I am good with the supermarket packets and lemon sevai is quite easy to prep. It really is fast food and is some light food to have. The turmeric gives the sevai its color, the curry leaves the aroma and the lime juice gives a nice fresh feel. The slightly tricky part is to dunk the sevai in hot water and drain the water quickly so that it does not lose its texture and the threads have separation. Some oil is added to the water before the sevai is added. This helps in maintaining the vermicelli strings’ texture. After that it is just tempering the spices and mixing in the sevai.
Drain the water
Fry the mustard seeds, urad dal, red chilies and curry leaves
Mix the sevai with the tempering ingredients
Lemon Sevai Recipe
- Sevai : 200 gm
- Lime :1
- Turmeric powder: ½ tsp
- Curry leaves: 12-15
- Mustard Seeds: 1tsp
- Urad Dal: 1 tsp
- Red chillis: 3-4
- Oil: 2tbsp
- Heat four cups of water in a vessel. Once the water is hot add half a teaspoon of oil and soak the sevai in the hot water. Turn off the heat and allow the sevai to soak for about three minutes. Drain the water and keep the sevai aside
- Heat oil in a wok
- Add the mustard seed and allow them to crackle
- Reduce the heat and add the urad dal.
- Add the turmeric powder and the red chilies
- Add the curry leaves and the salt to the oil mixture
- On low heat, add the soft sevai and mix the contents.
- The sevai will get the yellow of the turmeric
- Turn of the heat and sprinkle the fresh lime juice
- Mix the sevai and serve hot