A delicious dessert from my hometown of Hyderabad. Double ka meetha is a bread pudding made with ingredients that are almost universally available. Making Double-ka-meetha is not that difficult and it is also a great way to use bread that is a few days old.
The sweet is made by drenching fried bread in a sugar syrup and then pouring rich condensed milk over it along with fried cashew pieces and other nuts. The detailed recipe is mentioned below along with some substitute ingredient ideas 🙂
Cut the bread diagonally into triangles
Fry the bread in ghee
Both sides should be fried evenly
Prep the sugar syrup
Fried bread soaked in sugar syrup
Spread the fried cashew pieces and the melon seeds
Pour the reduced milk
Double Ka Meetha Recipe
- Bread Slices: 10
- Sugar: 1 cup
- Cardamom Pods: 4
- Ghee / Clarified Butter: 1 cup
- Full fat Milk: 1 liter
- Cashew Nuts: 10-12
- Melon Seeds: 1 tsp
- Saffron food color
- Cut the bread slices diagonally into triangles and spread the slices on a tray and allow it to dry
- Boil the milk and continue heating on low heat until the quantity is reduced to one-fourth. Keep string the milk in between.
- Cut the cashew nuts into small pieces
- Open the cardamom pods and take out the seeds powder the seeds using a motor & pestle
- Melt the ghee in a pan and fry the bread slices until they are golden brown. Turn the slices so that they are fried on both sides
- Take one cup of water in another pan. Turn on the heat and add the sugar. Let the sugar dissolve to become a watery syrup.
- Add the freshly ground cardamom powder and a pinch of the food color to the syrup. Mix well and after 2 mins turn off the heat.
- Spread the fried bread pieces on a tray
- Gently pour the sugar syrup all over the fried bread pieces using a large spoon or a ladle. Allow the bread to soak in the sugar syrup
- Fry the cashew pieces and the melon seeds in ghee and pour the contents over the bread
- Pour the reduced milk over the soaked bread slices
Notes & Alternatives :
- To reduce the amount of ghee, toast the bread apply some ghee on each piece and toast it again
- Condensed milk can be used instead of reducing milk and using it. Khoya (milk solids) can also be heated with some milk and used
- Almonds, raisins and pistachios can also be used along with cashews