Desi Chana Curry
Desi Chana or Black chick peas are used quite often in Indian and middle eastern cooking. The peas need to be soaked over night and pressure cooked before it can be used in curries. Onions and tomatoes are used to get a gravy for the curry. Tomatoes can be cut into pieces and and cooked or tomato puree can be used to get a good gravy. Spice such as bay leaf, cinnamon bark etc can be used along with curry leaves and coriander powder infuse a lovely aroma and flavor. The chana curry can be served with roti, rice or bread.
Pressure cooked soaked chana
Add the chana to the onion-tomato-spices mix
Desi Chana/ Black Chickpeas: 1Cup
Onion: 1 large
Tomatoes: 2 large
Bay leaf: 1
Cinnamon bark: 1
Ginger-garlic paste: 1/2 tsp (optional)
Cumin seeds: 1tsp
Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder: 2 tsp
Coriander powder: 1 tsp
Curry leaves: 5-6
Coriander leaves (for garnish)
- Soak the chana/ chickpeas in water overnight and pressure cook with a little salt
- Chop the onions finely
- Cut the tomatoes into tiny pieces
- Heat oil in a wok
- Add the cumin seeds. Reduce the flame to low.
- Add the chopped onions and fry for a minute on medium heat
- Add the turmeric powder and stir
- Add the bay leaf, cinnamon bark and ginger garlic paste and cook for a minute
- Add curry leaves
- Add the tomato pieces and stir thoroughly. Cover the wok with a lid and let the tomatoes cook for a few minutes.
- Keep stirring and cook till the tomatoes are soft and mushy
- Add the chilli and coriander powder
- Add the chana/ cheakpeas and mix well
- Add salt to taste and cook for about five minutes on medium heat.
- Server hot and garnish with coriander leaves
- Tomato puree can also be used
- Chana masala available in the market can also be added to the recipe. (1 tsp will suffice for this recipe)