Coconut Milk Rice
A rich and flavored dish that goes well with strong curries and kormas of mixed vegetable, chicken, mutton, fish or egg. Coconut milk from fresh tender coconut flesh is added to the rice while cooking. This makes the rice rich in taste. Spices such as bay leaf, cinnamon bark, cloves and cardamom give great aroma to the rice. The rice is rich and aromatic but slightly bland in taste. Coconut milk rice goes well with.
The hand powered grater can be used to grate the coconut flesh. The same grater round-blade is given with most electric food processors.
The flesh of fresh coconut is grated. This is used to make the coconut milk.
The grated coconut flesh is put in hot water for a few mins so that the coconut milk is obtained.
Pass the contents through a sieve to remove the grated coconut pieces. Squeeze out the milk from the flesh.
Coconut milk is ready for use.
Long grain rice
Fry the spices in oil along with green chilies
Add the rice to the mix.
Add the coconut milk to the rice
Cook until the rice is done
- Rice: 2 cups
- Coconut: 1
- Green chilies: 4
- Cardamom: 2-3 pods
- Cloves: 3-4
- Cinnamon bark: 1 piece
- Bay leaf: 1-2
- Onion: 1 (optional)
- Ginger garlic paste: 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves: 5-6
- Grate the coconut flesh
- Heat 2 cups of water
- Once the water is hot add the grated coconut flesh. Stir and keep aside for about 7-8 mins. This makes the coconut give out the rich coconut milk.
- Remove the grated coconut from the milk obtained by passing the contents through a sieve. Squeeze out the milk for the grated left over coconut in the sieve
- Slit the green chilies
- Slice the onions into long pieces
- Wash the rice at least twice in water a keep side
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a thick wok or a pressure cooker container
- Add the sliced onions. Stir and let it fry for a minute
- Add the turmeric powder and ginger garlic paste
- Add the slit green chilies
- Add the spices: bay leaf, cinnamon bark, cloves and cardamom pods. fry for a minute on medium heat
- Add the rice and mix well
- Add the coconut milk extracted from the grated coconut.
- Add a cup of water a mix well
- Add salt to taste
- Cook the rice on medium flame or pressure cook the rice on low flame for a 1 whistle count
- Once the rice is done server hot
- Coconut milk readily available in the market can also be used
- Onions are optional as is the ginger garlic paste
- Star anise can also be added to the mix of spices