Typing this post will take more time than actually preparing the Zunka, that is how fast and easy it is to make this one. So what we have here is capsicum that is fried and coated with roasted and spiced gram flour. There is some prep required in roasting the gram flour and of course de-seeding and cutting the capsicum. So if we have both the things going on simultaneously then we have something very tasty that goes great with both rice and with chapattis.
All the flavor and aroma comes from the roasted gram flour and the spices added to it. I like to prepare an entire jar of this roasted spiced flour, have it ready over the weekend, and then use it to give a nice coating on a lot of veggie fries. Just sprinkle a few teaspoons on the vegetable fry, during the last minute of cooking and mix it thoroughly. A nice coating on Potatoes fry and Okra fry and Scarlet gourd are some of my favorites.
Here is the three step easy way to get the Zunka ready, the detailed recipe, of course, is mentioned at the end:
Prep: Clean, de-seed & cut the capcicums
Roast: The gram flour on low heat & add turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder and a little dry mango powder
Fry: Fry the capsicum pieces in some oil. Once done, add salt and sprinkle the roasted gram flour powder over it and mix well.
Capsicum Zunka Recipe
- Capsicum: 6-7 medium sized
- Gram flour/ Besan: 4 tbsp
- Red Chili powder: 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder: 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder: 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Dry Mango powder: 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Oil: 2 tsp
- De-seed the capsicum and cut them into one-fourths
- Roast the gram flour on low heat for about five minutes. Keep stirring the flour. The roasted flour will release a pleasant aroma
- Add the turmeric powder, chili powder, dry mango powder and coriander powder to the roasted flour and mix well.
- Heat oil in a wok and add the mustard seeds
- Reduce the flame to medium level, add the capsicum pieces and stir
- Place a lid and cook the capsicum. It would take about eight minutes on medium heat.
- Reduce the heat, add salt to the capsicum. Keep in mind that the salt is for the capsicum and the flour
- Sprinkle the flour over the capsicum and mix well. The flour will absorb the oil and moisture and become darker in color.
- Keep on low heat for a minute and done.