Bread Upma Recipe
A spicy fusion snack prepped in a few minutes
A traditional Indian dish with a twist. Taking a few slices of bread, cutting them into cubes and adding flavor and spice. The first Bread Upma I had was prepared by Mom. Easy to make and delicious.
The recipe is just frying onion & some veggies in a little oil, spicing it up and mixing in bread cubes. The ingredients are very basic and almost all of them can be substituted with what is regionally available. All the alternatives are mentioned at the bottom.
My other upma recipe with a twist is my Oats Upma Recipe
Bread Upma Recipe
Ingredient: 10 || Time: 15 mins
- Plain Bread: 8 slices
- Onion: 1
- Fresh green peas: 1/4 cup
- Carrot: 1
- Green chili: 2
- Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Fresh Coriander leaves: 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder: 1/4 tsp
- Oil: 2 tbsp
- Clean & cut the onion into thin slices
- Peel the carrot skin & cut it into tiny pieces
- Cut the bread slices into cubes
- Slit the green chilies & chop the coriander leaves
- Heat the oil in the pan and add the mustard seeds
- Once the mustard seeds crackle, add the onion slices followed by the turmeric powder. Mix well
- Add the veggies, green chilies and mix well. Cook with a lid on for about 8 minutes on medium heat
- Now add the bread cubes and mix all the ingredients in the pan. Sprinkle salt & the chopped coriander leaves
- Cook on low heat for two minutes. Give a few stirs in between.
- Serve hot
- The veggies can be removed or replaced. Some good options are bell peppers, tomatoes, corn and boiled potatoes. All veggies chopped into small pieces
- Peanuts can be added. Fry about 2 tsp of peanuts in the oil by adding them after the mustard seeds.
- Brown bread is a good substitute for regular bread. Milk-bread or any bread that is slightly sweet, tastes a little odd with these spices and ingredients.