A sweet made with staple ingredients found in almost any India kitchen. Besan ladoo is made by cooking chickpea flour or besan in ghee. All the flavor comes from the cardamom powder and the sugar powder brings in the sweetness. Once the cooking is done and the flour cools down, it is time to get your hands in and start shaping the ladoos. Besan ladoo might require less number of ingredients but it requires some time and effort. Worth it !
Here are a few processes that give the best result:
1. The besan has to be cooked on low heat. A thick kadai/wok is idea for this and constant stirring is required.
2. If the sugar powder is added while the flour is cooking then the sugar will melt and the consistency of the flour will become very loose. Can’t shape ladoos ( learnt it the hard way). Add the sugar powder after the heat is turned off and the flour cools down.
Besan Ladoo Recipe
- Besan / Chickpea Flour: 2 cups
- Ghee / Clarified Butter: 1/2 cup
- Cardamom Powder: 1 tsp
- Powdered Sugar: 1/2 cup
- Pistachios: 10-12 (cut into slivers or pieces)
- Kadai on stove, low flame. Melt the ghee
- Keep adding the besan in small quantities while continuously stiring the mix
- Continue mixing the flour & ghee on low heat. Add the cardamom powder and mix well
- The four and ghee will form a stiff dough. Turn off the heat
- Allow the mixture to cool down before adding the powdered sugar. Mix well
- Grease your palms with a little oil, take small portions of the dough and roll into small balls or ladoos
- Garnish with pieces of pistachios
- Heat the besan on low heat and in a thick kadai
- Add the sugar powder only after the flour & ghee mix cools down