This is a spicy cake. Having said that that this Bajra or Pearl millet cake is a take on the Semolina Cake. I am trying out cooking and baking using various millets and this is one such experiment using bajra flour. The other millet cake recipe is my Ragi Chocolate Cake.
Bajra Wheat Cake Recipe
- Bajra/ Pearl Millet Flour: 1/2 cup
- Wheat Flour: 1/2 cup
- Yogurt: 1/2 cup
- Carrot: 1(grated)
- Grated Ginger: 1 tsp
- Chili Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Baking Soda: 1/2 tsp
- Sesame seeds: 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Oil: 3 tbsp + oil for greasing
- In a large bowl mix the bajra, wheat flour, yogurt and the vegetables
- Mix in the grated ginger, chili powder and baking soda
- Add little amount of water,if required, so that a batter is formed
- Heat oil in a small wok/pan for tempering
- Reduce the heat and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Allow the mustard seeds to crackle and the cumin seeds to turn slightly brow.
- Turn off the heat. Add the tempering to the batter and mix well
- Grease a baking tin.
- Pour in the batter and sprinkle the sesame seeds on top.
- Bake for about 30 mins at 150’C
- Check if the cake is done by poking in a skewer/ knife. If the skewer/ knife comes out clean then the cake is done
- Allow the cake to cool on a rack
- Cut into slices/ pieces and serve
Some of the culinary tools used
OTG: Oven Toaster Grill